PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Easy worse than Ryanair
View Single Post
Old 3rd Dec 2009, 18:53
Mister Geezer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mister Geezer has alluded to there being no managment incentive to treat their crews with respect. That is absolutely not the case as has been seen here. What gives them incentive is a strong pilot union sitting across the table from them making it clear that if they continue to be dorks they will have a strike on their hands. The real skill, however, is turning that fighting position into concrete results that bring change. That is where we are at the moment, and only time will tell if we can achieve victories in the above-mentioned areas. I dare to believe we may yet do so.
Having a strong pilot union in the form of BALPA across the table will act as an obstacle to management to initiate any 'foul play'. However this is offset to the same extent by the fact that there will always be people who will gladly accept a Command or indeed a Right Hand Seat on poorer conditions. You only need a handful of 'volunteers' to accept the inferior deal and the new benchmark has been set. The latter forms a very weak union amongst crews and that is far more of a pressing issue. It is far harder to resolve the rot after it has started.

Even if BALPA come to the table and strike action is averted, does that instantly mean that further reductions in Ts and Cs will not be attempted by management? Such an approach in any airline can only be described as being short sighted. Especially so in easyJet, when I consider the rather 'agressive' cost cutting plans that are conveyed to me by friends who are in the company.