PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ZSPD Cargo Plane Crash
View Single Post
Old 3rd Dec 2009, 17:18
Current Limiter

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Take-off performance

All the banter about one type being better or worse than another probably doesn't apply to this accident. There have been many incidents and accidents where the take-off performance was miscalculated, for example by entering an incorrect take-off weight. Some of these have resulted in tradgedy, others have luckily been avoided with an embarresing tail scrape. My point is that on a large aircraft, the manufacturer expects you to get the sums right. You will not be flying at speeds and power settings that were calculated for a vastly lighter condition.

I don't know how this operator was calculating their perofmance, or what kind of cross checking they had in place. Not having flown the MD11, I am stabbing a bit in the dark, but even with the notorious centre engine failing, the a/c should have had the performance after V1 to continue flying?

I am not suggesting that a miscalculation of the take-off weight was the cause of this accident, but should it turn out to be, then it really doesn't matter which type you are operating - it just isn't going to work.