PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Haddon-Cave, Airworthiness, Sea King et al (merged)
Old 3rd Dec 2009, 15:07
Distant Voice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Other "Ignorant and Naive" statements

The following represent other "ignorant and naive" statements made by the QC in his report, which threaten the credibility of the whole review, and in doing so present opportunties to the guilty parties to get off the hook.

Page 129
This limitation [restriction to 15k in No.1 tank] was not formally recorded in the aircraft documentation but I have no doubt that it was put into operation by crews, and was relayed to FS Davies when he was briefed prior to his first AAR sortie in theatre and carried out by him.

I (DV) have no doubt that this was a serious error. The QC can not reprimand IPT, QinetiQ and BAe for bad practices, and at the same time condone this action. You can not operate an aircraft safely when crew members rely on word of mouth to pass on defects. There was a problem that was in need of investigation. In the end this investigation should have resulted in a recorded ADD or Limitation.

Page 119
At the inquest much was made of the fact that the 'fuel witness trail' (described by Witness 22 and 28 to the BOI) observed following a sortie around 9/10 August 2006 was a 'crescent' shape, descending from the No1 blow-valve exit and crossing the bomb door hinges.

This is not true. At the inquest, Witness 28 pointed out that his statement, attached to the BOI report, was incorrect and this fact had been pointed out to the BOI at the time he received the first draft. In the corrected version, which was presented to the court, the Witness states "It was like a tea pot stain. Starting just aft of No1 tank blow-off it was six-nine inches wide and a foot below the bomb bay hinge line"

My A&AEE boss once told me; "If anyone finds one mistake in any officail report that you produce, I may as well rip it up and hang it in the toilet"

DV