PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - arrogance
Thread: arrogance
View Single Post
Old 3rd Dec 2009, 14:09
glasairflyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
arrogance

I am a Brit who lives and flies in France. In my view one of the best places for GA in the world. I am sorry to say that the greatest danger one is faced with are arrogant Brits.

You see, they continue to land at airfields where there is no English service. This is fine if they could speak French, but mostly they cannot. On landing, even after nearly causing a near miss they continue to believe that English is the 'universal aviation language' and it is their right to land wherever they wish.

If French pilots wish to fly abroad, they have to pass a quite hard English exam. Being bi-lingual, I give courses at several flying clubs.

May I remind Brit flyers that they can only land at airfields with English service unless they are sufficiently proficient in French to make and understand radio calls. These days, things are being hardened up and if any Brit arrives illegally, they are quite likely to be given a French test which if they fail, a large fine ensues.

We welcome foreign flyers provided that they do not present a serious threat to local air users. We are fed up with finding G reg planes flying circuits in opposite direction and ignoring local traffic in circuit.