PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ZSPD Cargo Plane Crash
View Single Post
Old 3rd Dec 2009, 12:33
lederhosen

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts
Clandestino I enjoy a good debate and you have put a lot of effort into your last reply, so despite your tone I will respond. Have you read Finn47's post and looked at the Boeing statistics for all recent jets?

The MD11 has a demonstrably worse record than any comparable jet. Of course if you take aircraft produced in small numbers you can come up with outliers. But for aircraft with flights measured in the millions, the MD11 is significantly worse than any recent jet.

The premise is not that anything worse than the 737 is dangerous. The thread is about the MD11 and facts show that even without the last two write-offs the MD11 has a very poor record. Your argument that the accident reports exonerate the aircraft has not yet convinced me.

You are obviously a fan of crash comics and safety reports in general so will no doubt be familiar with the concept of 'the holes lining up on the swiss cheese' causing accidents. In this case we have :

1. An aircraft that a lot of pilots see as demanding and with a poor overall safety record
2. An operator with what appears to be a mixed reputation and one week's experience flying the MD11
3. Pilots who may not have been in recent practice flying the MD11 due to point two
4. Oversight of the operation in a country that also has a very mixed reputation.

The report will I am sure make interesting reading. In the mean time I think some interesting points have come out and will hopefully be clarified.