PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Question about planned Alternates and the use of them when airborne
Old 3rd Dec 2009, 12:32
big d1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
PitotTube

Thanks for clearing up your question. I therefore stand by what I said in my previous post, and agree with what CamelhAir has said. Once airborne it’s actual/plate minima that you need to worry about. With regards to the fuel no you do not need fuel to get from alt 1 to alt 2 if diverting to alt 1. Although as CamelhAir has said if you decided to divert to alt 1 with weather below minima to 'have a look' (although I don’t know why you would want to do this) then indirectly you would probably want to make sure that you had enough fuel to get to alt 2 (although no requirement in EU-OPS) as if you did need to go to alt 2 you best make sure you can get there AND land with a minimum of FRF in tank (which is a requirement).

CamelhAir I agree with you that once airborne all we are interested in is actual minima, but what do you make of the following which I found in EU-OPS?

OPS 1.340

Meteorological conditions
(a) On an IFR flight a commander shall only:

1. commence take-off; or

2. continue beyond the point from which a revised flight plan applies in the event of in-flight re-planning, when information is available indicating that the expected weather conditions, at the time of arrival, at the destination and/or required alternate aerodrome(s) prescribed in OPS 1.295 are at or above the planning minima, prescribed in OPS 1.297.

(b) On an IFR flight, a commander shall only continue towards the planned destination aerodrome when the latest information available indicates that, at the expected time of arrival, the weather conditions at the destination, or at least one destination alternate aerodrome, are at or above the planning applicable aerodrome operating minima.

I have posted my view point on this back in post #16.

So PitotTube to keep it simple

Does the Wx at your ALT still have to satisfy the "planing minima" when airborne? Or is it enough with actual minima?
actual minima is enough once airborne (although see my above quote from EU-OPS which may indicate otherwise. Waiting for other people's views on this)

And if you hold and divert to ALT 1 (below planing minima) , are you required to carry the fuel to ALT 2 + Final reserve (30 min 1500')
No just make sure you land with FRF wherever you decide to divert to

Last edited by big d1; 3rd Dec 2009 at 12:46.