PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Jet Airways check pilot pulls CB on finals
Old 3rd Dec 2009, 11:41
Allocate_on_Arrival

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I suspect a line checker did that to me on a Cat3 approach - and pulled another little stunt.
You know who you are
MOR and CHIRP with the offenders licence number attached - it has to be done as what the offender did (if he did in fact do it) is wholly unacceptable.

It's not about the handling skills of the crew. To me that's completely irrelevant. If the check pilot suspected handling deficiencies then he reports his concerns and recommends a sim-check, it's not a massive deal. All crews should be able to fly a manual approach, no arguments there!

With regards FD/AP off approaches: They are not in themselves dangerous or even non-standard, but there is a time and a place. To say they are essentials is plain wrong (with the obvious exceptions) and smacks of over-reliance on technology - they are in the category "Nice to have, but can deal without"

What is a massive deal is the deliberately pulled circuit breaker (and it doesn't matter a jot which one is was) and the operation of the aircraft in a manner which is not only forbidden by the aircraft manufacturer but is also in violation of SOP's, no doubt, the TR manual, one's common sense and finally, is illegal ... not to mention the fact he wasn't even flying (or in a seat where he would be able to do so if something had gone wrong).

At the very least his licence should be revoked and he should be sacked. In my opinion he should also face appropriate criminal charges.
(and I'd quite like to see a poll of people who agree with me)

Less focus on the ineptitude of the crew and more on the outrageously dangerous actions of the idiot on the jump seat.

A_o_A