PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Climbing on helicopters and working at heights
Old 3rd Dec 2009, 09:46
zorab64

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Like all things H&S, there's no accounting for sensible risk assessment. We operate in a risky environment where Flight Safety is, in my book, H&S with bells on - and has been around longer, I'll wager? Not getting to know your new aircraft slowly, when learning how to climb over it to perform daily checks, is like jumping onto a new motorbike & riding onto an ice rink!

That said, there's a world of difference between shinning up a Squirrel and a Skycrane but, as has been mentioned (& whilst one wishes for a speedy recovery) accidents do happen, and from smaller machines too. I would imagine, given where they tend to operate, a "proper, H&S approved," Skycrane gantry is unlikely to be practically available for 90% of any operational requirement?

Certainly for single pilots ops, as mentioned by peterprobe, dragging out a gantry (if available) to inspect both sides of the aircraft may result in back strain; and/or may require a second person to help; and/or could result in inadvertent damage to the aircraft. This may require more time, which should possibly be better used in taking extra care, keeping 3/4 planted, and using the proper foot/hand holds, designed for the purpose! Like riding into work on a motorbike - better to arrive late & alive than risk a dodgy overtake just to get there on time!