PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Crossing the Irish Sea VFR - Airspace transits
Old 2nd Dec 2009, 19:09
Wing Commander Fowler

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Slight thread drift perhaps but you've reminded me of a flight I did in My Jet Provost back in 97 from Liverpool to Newtownards. I was at FL140 and under radar advisory, approaching the Whisky as I had done several times before in other aircraft and the controller suddenly became tense and instructed me to take up a heading 180 degrees from my previous one. Of course I complied swiftly and then queried as to the reason to which he replied "to keep you clear of controlled airspace". It was obvious he was referring to the Whisky and I "requested a turn back to proceed through" which he denied. There was never any mention of traffic conflict and I realised he was out of his depth. I cancelled the service, did a u-turn and clattered on through. The b*stard obviously filed an MOR. I believe upon receipt the CAA realised his lack of grounds and sought something else to hammer me with as I subsequently received a letter from the CAA advising me that they had been "made aware" of a flight I had conducted in weather unsuitable for my permit to fly retsrictions.......... I took great pleasure in letting them know that TAF's and METARS don't give the whole picture and that I had found a huuuuuuge hole in the sky to climb through and remain VFR for the whole flight.

If you are that controller then shame on you!