PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Southern Cross......
View Single Post
Old 2nd Dec 2009, 10:58
pvmw

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Southern Cross......

....no, not Kingsford Smith's one.

I'm sure someone here can help. I have a friend visiting Brisbane, and I've told her to go to a museum and take me some photos of the remains of an A/C that I'm pretty sure is in Brisbane - but I can't fnd any reference to it.

I used to have a magazine article about its discovery, but I've lost it (if anyone has a copy.......) It was an attempt to fly from UK to Australia in a single engined plane in the 20s/30s. The a/c and the pilot (whose name I've forgotten) disappeared in Africa and were never heard from again. In the 60s there was a report that a patrol of the French Foreign Legion had found the remains, and a bunch of UK car/plane nuts- Hamish Moffat, Keith Schellenberg and others - decided to go and recover it. They succeeded, and it was shipped to Australia as they thought it ought to end up at its intended destination.

I'm pretty sure the remains are now in a Brisbane Museum. Any info gratefully received - and as I say, if by some small chance someone has a copy of the article (it was in a classic car magazine - long shot I know!!) or any more info.....