PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BALPA in the Offshore world?
View Single Post
Old 2nd Dec 2009, 10:04
RedWhite&Blue

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Helimutt

I posted this on Terms and Endearments - it may be of interest.

Feedback would be valued.

Professional Pilots and Professional Indemnity Insurance

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Having had my ATPL for twelve years or so I still worry about the 'what ifs'. What if I make a mistake which leads to me needing to defend my actions.

That defence may be in front of my employer, the Authority, a customer or whoever.

As far as I can tell as long as there is a 'reasonable prospect of a successful outcome' I may be able to convince Balpa to fight my corner. But how is 'reasonable' defined? What counts as a successful outcome? Maybe they can help or maybe not.

I have found insurance policies which cover legal costs for aircrew but they also have the same caveat.

So what are my chances if I have made a genuine mistake for which any defence has little prospect of a successful outcome? Other than, maybe, that of a mitigated penalty (which may actually be a great success in itself).

How could I fund a defence whatever the circumstances?

In other professions one can buy professional indemnity insurance which pays out if a mistake leads to a claim for damages.

So, I'm thinking of seeing if I can persuade an insurer to write a policy which combines the concepts of 'legal costs cover' and 'professional indemnity'.

What do you think, would that be of value to individuals in our profession?
ATB

Red

Update

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have persuaded a well respected insurer based in the UK to consider how such a policy would be structured and they are working on it.

Hope to have news soon, but would still welcome feedback.

Last edited by RedWhite&Blue; 2nd Dec 2009 at 10:42. Reason: Update