PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flying in Thailand -Bangkok, Ko Samaui & Ko Panang
Old 2nd Dec 2009, 08:30
Ultranomad

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I flew at Thai Flying Club at VTBT in September and was absolutely enchanted - I thought places and people like this became extinct 50 years ago. This is a really big club, with a tarmac runway and about 40-50 aircraft of all types, even an Extra 300. For non-members, they had a Cessna 150, a Cessna 172, a Piper Cherokee and a Beech Musketeer available. The prices are a bit lower than in Europe.
If you want to fly solo, be sure to contact them 4-5 weeks in advance for a validation, otherwise you will fly with an instructor. Phone them first - they don't always return their e-mails right away. I didn't have enough time to get validated, so I chose to be checked out in a new type (Musketeer) instead. We flew from Bang Phra out to the sea, then to Utapao International, made a few approaches there, then went back along the coastline behind the mountain ridge and circled to Bang Phra. Flying circuits at Bang Phra is an exotic pleasure in itself.