PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Class D Zones for Broome & Karratha
View Single Post
Old 2nd Dec 2009, 07:09
ARFOR

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mr Smith,

Emotive headlines such as
The Aussie system of using a Class D Controller who sometimes is very busy to also be responsible for vast amounts of Class C airspace is clearly an accident waiting to happen.
Will not change airspace. Aerostudies will.

Not that I condone using emotive threat lines, but why are you not also saying something like
The Aussie system of using a High Level Enroute Sector Controller who sometimes is very busy to also be responsible for vast amounts of Class E airspace including lower level arrival and departures airspace is clearly an accident waiting to happen.
I be guessing but I suspect version B is more likely to occur!
You only have to see what happened at Hamilton Island where a Controller nearly put two RPT jets into each other, and hidden in the safety incident report was the fact that there are other people communicating.
Second time you have used this example. Were phraseologies, experience, interpretations of the traffic disposition part of this 'thing' at YBHM? who knows, where is the report? Or is it more sensational commentary like your assessment of the 2RN collision? That report is released, the causal factors are telling and arguably not related to airspace or ATC procedures.
I believe this is a clear example that if you load a Class D Controller with too much workload, errors can take place which reduce the safety in the D even though you have lulled yourself into a false complacency because we have lots of C above!
Your sensational unsupported claims regarding overloaded D controllers takes no account of the fact that over many years at many locations errors and/or misunderstandings very rarely occur. When they do, it comes under that often used phrase - '**** happens'! No system is going to be 100% effective 100% of the time. Thankfully rarely used 'last line' mitigators [such as ACAS] save the day when all else fails. Far better to have a back-up last line of defence sitting in reserve, than expecting a 'last line back-up defence' to be the ONLY defence i.e. EVERY VFR/VFR and IFR/VFR pair in non-radar Class E!

tobzalp Agreed! I've had my 2c on that, so will take my leave on his fundamentalist side issue/s!