PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - strangest freight
View Single Post
Old 2nd Dec 2009, 06:45
TacomaSailor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That was my bull seman - always wondered what happened!

I was a very naive and unwise investor in a bull semen partnership.

We owned some very fancy bulls and were shipping their semen to Packistan, Afganistan, ...stan, to help them improve their cattle herds.

The 20 limited partners finally realized that we were not going to make any money when the general partner flew home from one of those countries, he was to get payment for the seman that was not broken enroute, and was arrested at JFK for bringing back a lot of very expensive powder instead of a lot of thousand dollar bills. All we had to do was convince the DEA we were ignorant - it didn't take them long to realize we were also stupid!

I lost a very significant sum on that stupid idea - worse my 28 year old wife lost all confidence in my ability to manage our money. Twentysix years later I am still trying to convince her I can manage the money and it is safe for her to retire. ( I sold my business 10 years ago)

The REALLY dumb thing was that my father, a veternarian, was one of the world's experts in the area of third world cattle herd improvement and was a consultant for WHO. He begged me not to make that investment. But how can a 60 year old professional tell his 37 year old son anything?

Live and Learn?