PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - United GRU-ORD Divert to MIA to Offload Purser
Old 2nd Dec 2009, 02:34
Rapid D

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yea I remember that incident. ATL to NRT. The AC was at the controls and the Co Capt. was in the bunk. The design and location of the bunk on the MD11 was a hot button issue. Without even discussing the issue with the guy in bunk, the AC took it upon himself to start the diversion process in to PDX on his own. The Co Capt was surprised at the developing action but like a good soldier stood by and followed through. Interstingly the Co-Capt was a General in the Air Force, but I guess he knew who the boss was. The AC was a guy who took every opportunity to stir the ALPA agenda at Delta and while forget the outcome, none the less the rank and file were very divided on the terms of his discipline
So since it seems you did not work at Delta during this time, would you agree there might be "more to the story" Spooky?

I was a Delta pilot during this incident, and I would say there was not much division at all about the Captain's decision to divert or his "discipline" as you said. There was no discipline. "Fatigue". End of story as far as that goes.

Captain claimed crew fatigue and they went into PDX. PDX was a MD-11 base at the time, and new crew flew pax onto NRT. Reserve crew had plenty of notice. And due to crappy performance of MD-11 during winter winds, this flight sometimes had to go into PDX for gas anyway. Not a big deal operationally.

In this case, it was to make a statement. MGT was stonewalling on b.s. foldout/curtain crew rest contraption - it was far from a "bunk" - and ALPA was insisting on a better/more restfull area. It finally took a CA with some gnads to make some change. And it worked. Much better crew rest area was created.

While there were some that did not agree with the Captain's decision or tactics, the rank and file were not "very divided" as you stated. The rank and file were mostly supportive.

There was a very anti-pilot mgt group at the time led by then CEO Leo Mullen (all top officers cashed out with millions during BK by the way) and they refused to believe this was a safety issue and not just pilots getting one over. It took this action to make reasonable man change happen.

To most of us, this captain was our hero for standing up for all of us. "Every opportunity to stir the ALPA agenda" is b.s. too. Makes for a better story I know, but did you work at Delta or know this guy personally?

At the time, this pot stirring effected change and all MD-11 crews were grateful.

Last edited by Rapid D; 2nd Dec 2009 at 20:08.