PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 737 Magic!
Thread: 737 Magic!
View Single Post
Old 2nd Dec 2009, 01:57
DC-ATE

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
JammedStab -
Those wrongly-placed engines make it go at Mach 0.84 instead of 0.74. Or is it the amazing wing. The 732 seems to be pretty twitchy as well on the ailerons and it seems to yaw a lot in cruise(most noticable in the back). It has 4 flight spoilers instead of 10 and you can't even extend them fully in flight. What if ATC keeps you high and tight?
However, I am told that it handles a crosswind better. Having fun comparing though.
.84 vs .74.....so what.....what's the rush. The 737-200 started out as a short haul a/c. As I recall, we flew the -300 faster, but can't remember; I retired off the DC-8.

As to "twitchy".....not sure about that. And as to yaw.....dunno.....never flew it from the back !!

It's up to you to NOT let ATC fly your airplane for you. As far as I'm concerned those spoilers are for landing. Any other use is poor planning.
Never flew an airplane that was uncontrollable in a crosswind. But, my transport catagory airplanes only consisted ot the Lodestar, Connie, DC-6/7, 737 and DC-8. Lodestar wasn't too much fun in a crosswind, however.

OK.....I'll go to bed now.