PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Haddon-Cave, Airworthiness, Sea King et al (merged)
Old 1st Dec 2009, 23:12
JFZ90

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Radweld The QC is quite wrong to say that a tolerable risk that is not ALARP is intolerable.
Does he say this? I don't recall him saying this - can you point to the page in the report? I thought he was saying quite the opposite.

DV Now, having read Lord Cullen's findings, and the Health and Safety guidelines, I believe that "time" in this context means downtime (lost time) of the plant or equipment and its associated costs and trouble. It does not mean, as Group Capt. Hickman (inquest witness) and the QC claim that "we have got time to reduce the risk to ALARP".
By the same token, would you therefore argue airlines should not be given several years to implement ADs and minimise their downtime? They are certainly given it. The "sacrifice" to MoD is not necessarily different in terms of down time - if anything the loss of assets in theatre that maybe saving lives on the ground is a greater sacrifice than that of a civil airliner being on the ground when it is just making money for its shareholders.