PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - En-route instrument rating - how's it supposed to work?
Old 1st Dec 2009, 21:27
mm_flynn

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
G-BIWP

The aircraft had climbed through the cloud and was in VMC above a cloud layer.
The fact the aircraft was likely just above a cloud layer at the time and the fact that managing a power reduction sometimes causes people to loose control even in VMC is the reason I was equivocal on this one.

G-BXLJ

The pilot who hired the aircraft had not flown since 28 November 1998; consequently the AFI accompanied him in order to satisfy the operator's 4 week currency requirement. The AFI not surprisingly was recorded as the Commander and he also held a CPL. It is not known whether the aircraft was above the tops or not.
It was bloody careless to hit the top of a mountain shrouded in fog if they were above the tops. My understanding is a British CPL w/o an IR effectively has an IMC - so two IMCr pilots are in this aircraft - one of them was flying.

My point is not to debate the details of exactly what should or should not count - more to provide some facts for others to judge the 'only 1 accident in 40 years claim'. I find it surprising that the only accident the CAA are aware of happened in the most recent 10 year analysis - particularly as contributor Pace says his IMC rated friend died in IMC in the previous 10 year analysis. I have not analysed accidents in the period 10-40 years ago.

I do overall agree the IMCr in the UK is not dangerous, is overall a benefit to pilots and the European training requirements for an IR are excessive.