PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - john frohnsdorff elected BALPA General Secretary
Old 22nd Jun 2002, 10:27
G-OOFY

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile

Dear John,

Congratulations now the union is back in the hands of the members. There are a number of issues in our industry which have been left untouched for years. The most significant I feel is the slowly downward spiraling pay, every year payrises (if they occur) don't meet inflation. I would guess over the past 10 years this accounts to a 20% cut, particualy for those in smaller companies. Please inform the new GS when found that there is alot to be done and not just for those at the top end of the pile. All the effort spent on negotiating BA 777 crewrest facilities is great for those at the top I'm sure, but when reading log those at the bottom feel somewhat disenfranchised! Espesially when our (the bottom of the pile) rest facilities are a portacabin with no heating.

I believe a five year post for the new GS is fine but a ballot should be called after every five year period, that's democratic. A select few behind stuffy closed doors should not be able to re-appoint the GS.

just a few thoughts.