PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flight manuals on line & requests
View Single Post
Old 1st Dec 2009, 19:04
[email protected]

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down

Well on the one hand I respect that a business must assert it's rights over things it produces. On the other, I know of no other product where the documentation required for it's safe operation, maintenance, and use is not freely available. Free, shouldn't mean 1-5 years if you buy a shiny brand new one. It should mean as long as you are operating our product, we are going to make sure you remain supported and current with our product best practices.

With a new era of information access, most manufacturers (outside of aviation) are embracing the opportunity to share information with their customers, both current and potential (even curious perhaps). It's analogous to the software or music industry where open source and new methods of collaboration changed business models, and often what became public domain; in the case of the software industry free open source operating systems eg. Linux and it's various flavours, productivity suites eg. Open office, enlightened those who might not otherwise have had access to tools before. Then there are companies like Google who continue to innovate and provide tools that are available to all, changing the very landscape itself. It doesn't necessarily mean that people went out of business, it just meant that they had to rethink the way that they executed their business - even companies as powerful as Microsoft are making changes.

One might argue a strong case as I am suggesting, that it is in the very best interest of all concerned in the industry from manufacturers, pilots, engineers to regulators, that such information is published and available to all who seek it. I don't think that any qualified industry individual should have to plead for information or places to find it. It should be obvious and easy to access, even if it's qualified by a license registration process.

Thanks to eivissa and his unselfish efforts, which I'm sure seemed unrewarding at times, but are appreciated none the less by many here. For my part, I will continue working on my little search engine, hopefully with the support of manufacturers, and not in spite of them.

If they start publishing this material themselves in useful ways, and making it readily available - hats off to them, one for the good guys. MD Helicopters exception noted where access appears to require simple registration.

We will see who breaks out of the box and shows a little lateral thinking.