PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Eurocontrol Testing and Interviews
View Single Post
Old 1st Dec 2009, 10:01
HN09

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well, I took my stage one tests on Weds 25/11 so firstly, hello to all those who were there and who I spoke to! It was great fun meeting lots of different nationalities!

I didn't get through the morning stage and was deeply disappointed after thinking I had done well. I now have feedback and despite "excelling in all the other tests", I failed the cubes test by 2 marks... 2 marks!!!

Absolutely gutted right now and am thinking perhaps this career isn't for me as I've now failed on the basis of cubes for both Eurocontrol and NATS. Searched everywhere on the net for books etc. or teaching guides on how to improve this important skill but not having much luck so far! If anyone has any tips I'd appreciate help!

What angers me is that the lady who gave me feedback told me that if a candidate managed to scrape by in every test by the minimum required, they would get through to the afternoon but someone like me who scores highly in all parts but narrowly fails one part is rejected! Just feel hard done by... even though I realise the rules are the same for everyone!

My advice to people taking the tests is the following:

1. If you are a non-smoker, make sure you specify this when confirming the hotel arrangements!! I'm not a smoker but ended up with a smokers room so my sleep the night before was terrible!

2. Practise bearings and exercising your short term memory.

3. Don't get wound up about it all like I did... the tests are very well explained with practice examples beforehand and are strangely enjoyable (aside from the cubes obviously!)

It seemed like a great place to work and everyone in both the test centre and Maastricht in general were very friendly! So I am quite depressed frankly and of course, due to my age, I cannot re-apply! I wish I had thought of this career alot earlier... I was one of those who did not know what I wanted for breakfast at 18, let alone what career I should pursue!!

Best of luck to all those applying in the future and thankyou to everyone on this forum for all the help I received beforehand!