PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - En-route instrument rating - how's it supposed to work?
Old 1st Dec 2009, 09:24
mm_flynn

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Fuji Abound
Just two very quick comments:

The two best stats. available:

1. No (or maybe 1 depending who you believe) accidents involving IMC rated pilots in IMC in more than 40 years - there have been a lot more in the same size population of IR pilots,

2. No collisions in IMC involving an IMC rated pilot ever.

Sounds pretty safe to me.
Fuji, you damage your cause with bogus statistics. 1 is clearly untrue from the CAA's own publications (I accept it is a low number) and collisions in IMC are almost unheard of globally (regardless of the qualifications) so you wouldn't expect the relatively small IMCr population to appear.

I am in no way saying the IMCr is unsafe - just the ongoing pushing of demonstrably false statistics makes the job of the IMCr attackers that much easier.

With regard to your Bournemouth question. I would expect the EIR pilot to be vectored to the MVA on the extended centre line and if visual continue, if not divert. However, that is just my expectation.

Given the apparent total objections to the EIR from the population, it is unlikely anyone will bother to work up the details and we will be left with some bodge for the UK to continue to allow IMCr operations (if we are lucky) and an IR (which, if it is more sensible may be good enough for GA in the rest of Europe).