PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Who has decided to give up recently, and how much money have you wasted?
Old 30th Nov 2009, 19:06
blackred1443

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I agree whole heartedly with the sentiments being expressed here. The bank of Mummy and Daddy bridage have generated a situation where you are competing with their parents chequebook rather than their ability as pilots.

A good mate of mine recently told me a story. This mate has started his type rating in ryanair and his 23 year old class mate told him he was that glad of a job he would gladly work for nothing for a year(and he was serious). In my desparation to find a job this was never an option.Why, because parental finances weren't strong and i just couldn't rely on someone else to support me as a young adult.

This individual has a wealthy daddy who pays his loans, funds his flying, runs his car for him etc. I was particularly frustrated and curious by this. Frustrated because he was using his fortunate position to give his an edge. Curious as it made me wonder how this person will find life if the plan b of daddys cheque book wasnt there.

I have one question to ask though. There are alot of pilots with experience but unemployed with little hope of finding work for a while. The jobs that are there are now taken by some 22 year old willing to work for bugger all as daddy will fund them. Also there are employed pilots who are having there terms eroded for the same reason. If in 5 years time you found yourself sitting on an interview panel faced by a pilot who had choosen the pay to fly route, particularly pay to fly sponsored by mummy and daddy. Would it influence your decision on the candidate. Lets face it, the pay to fly candidate sponsored by mum and dad arent hard to spot. There ain't many banks today giving out 100k loans to people in there early to mid 20s!