PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - SARH to go
Thread: SARH to go
View Single Post
Old 30th Nov 2009, 14:50
Tigwas

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Crab

You state the cost of a RAF flight is 'comparatively low'. Compared to what? From my experience it has been almost impossible to compare apples with apples where MOD are concerned. For example, in by gone days, in the space of a week, the MOD office providing operating costs for aircraft quoted me Tucano costs on Monday at £250pph and on Friday £1500pph! If you try and get a figure for a SAR flight it will be a PDOOMA!
Sea King operating costs per hour are vastly more that a 225 for example. Running costs for Prestwick are simply prohibative compared to Portland. My guess if you could actually pin down the real MOD costs per Flight it would be at least 50% more that they currently believe - so much is hidden in the infrstructure/supply and support noise! Whilst the loss of RAF SAR is to be mourned, If the MOD kept their 8 Flights and bought new aircraft through the procurement process we would not see new aircraft until 2015 - 2020 and the cost would be much more than a PFI. Simply put MOD are incapable of doing anything efficiently - Chinook Mk 3 is a fine example.
Tigwas