PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 30th Nov 2009, 14:41
regle

Stratheden & Lascars

Lascars was a very common word to be heard all around Liverpool in the the "Thirties". It was by no means derogatory but described the multitude of Indian seamen to be found around Liverpool. They were all referred to as Lascars irrespective of race or creed. I am sure that Cliff has heard the expression many times. Apropos "expressions", I remember that the Liverpool thirties equivalent of "cool" was "Gear.". Does anyone remember that. ? "That's a gear belt that youse got". To give an example.

Ah ! The "Stratheden" ! What memories that brings back ! I have already told the story, in an earlier thread, of when I was flying for Air India in 1948. I was in a nice boarding house in Bombay on New Years Eve 1948 with my pregnant wife and two small children and we were all having a drink with the other guests which included the Captain of the "Stratheden". He used to leave his Wife in Bombay when he called there on the way to Australia and then would pick her up from our Pension when he returned on the return voyage. Remember Alex Guinness in "The Captain's Paradise ?" He said that he was leaving for England the following day and I said " I wish that we were going with you ". It was the time of the partition of India and it was virtually impossible to get a place on a boat to England as so many were fleeing the country. The Captain said to me "If you mean that I can take you tomorrow." That was it ! It was just before midnight. I cleared everyone out ; we started packing feverishly. The next morning I sold my beloved Packard convertible for £50, bought three huge tin trunks in Colaba causeway and we were all on the "Stratheden" when it sailed on New Years day from Bombay. It was the last word in luxury and the children were spoiled rotten by the crew and passengers. We ate like Royalty after all the wartime rationing and a year of curries and we have never forgotten the "Stratheden" and the fortnight that we spent aboard before docking in a miserable , cold, grey Gravesend and East End of London.
It was straight on to the "Berlin Air Lift " for me. Those were stirring times. Regle