PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Who has decided to give up recently, and how much money have you wasted?
Old 30th Nov 2009, 10:33
gissabreak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ambition & Determination

Due to becoming the family breadwinner, I only managed to start flying and qualify at the end of 1999 when a downturn was already in evidence and I was fast approaching 40! I have instructed since 2000 and overall have enjoyed it immensly, although it was intended as a stepping stone.

Once 9/11 came along and I hit 40, there was a noticeable change in attitude to employment by the airlines. In order to address concerns over being viewed as a training risk, I undertook the MSc Air Transport Management and just missed out on a Distinction. This I did, to show I could still learn.

The final bit of self made madness came when I was lured into 2 "promises" of jobs flying 757s, so I borrowed more money for my SSTR and received "excellent" written comments for my LST and Base Training, but the "jobs" vanished once I declared I couldn't find another £25k for LPC/OPC and Line Training! So here I am, 10 years later still yearning to achieve my childhood dream I've nurtured since aged 5, reading some rubbish implying the likes of myself lack ambition and determination! As is clear, you need these 2 qualities amongst others just to qualify!

To keep going 10 years plus, trying all avenues takes heaps more! Things that lead to employment once you have your ATPLF are luck (being in the right place at the right time), contacts (you can't have enough, don't fall out with anyone!) and publicly maintaining a positive mental attitude (you can get down and pull out your hair in private, no potential employer wants a moaner).

Over the years, I have helped others to achieve their Airline positions and in the main they have displayed a great attitude, but there are some who with a couple of hundred hours and with no cv writing at all got their jobs on the strength of who their fathers were or knew! It is a tough world out there but people like these haven't a clue!