PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Recency
Thread: Recency
View Single Post
Old 30th Nov 2009, 09:42
skaios

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cant you renew your IR rating on a single engine aircraft like a cessna or something ?
Well yeah I could do that too. At present I have an instrument rating on a single engine airplane (diamond da40) as well as a multi engine airplane (piper seneca).

But there is some confusion on that front and it is something that is relevant to anyone whose IR rating is about to expire.

According to the DGCA if you have a instrument rating on a multi-engine airplane, you may exercise the privileges of instrument rating on any
single engine aeroplane entered in the aircraft rating of your licence.

So in terms of that it is obviously better to just redo the IR check on the ME airplane that has been endorsed on your license and still have the flying privileges on the SE aircraft.

However, the question is, is it really necessary to have an instrument rating on a multi-engine aircraft in order to have a better chance of being employed by an airline in the future? Or is an instrument rating on a single-engine airplane only sufficient in that regard? Would it make a difference to the airlines if you have a CPL with ME and SE endorsements but IR only on the SE compared to having a CPL with ME and SE endorsements but IR on the ME?