PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Haddon-Cave, Airworthiness, Sea King et al (merged)
Old 30th Nov 2009, 07:58
nigegilb

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Got airborne off the grass at Valley on one occasion, after a main tyre burst. Half an hour later landed safely and a nice fireman helped me out still on the runway.

Transfer your scenario to an airliner and you wouldn't even abort the take off at high speed for a tyre failure.

Not a good example at all. Landing an airliner with a tyre failure is straightforward. Concorde is interesting, but don't get me started on fuel tank protection!

Problem is that v senior officers did not appear to understand safety management systems. Was chatting to a middle ranking officer the other day, he was explaining that at his level the understanding of what they are trying to achieve is improving all the time. I was reassured that in response to H-C the military will not swing violently in the opposite direction. There are a lot of bright minds out there, just a question of pointing them in the right direction.

Signs are encouraging from what I can see, simplistic arguments put forward by Rigga do not reflect the current thinking IMHO.