PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - United GRU-ORD Divert to MIA to Offload Purser
Old 30th Nov 2009, 05:26
Semaphore Sam

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I flew as Aircraft Commander (4-engine military) in 72, until 78. Then, with airline, as F/E, F/O, then Captain starting in 83, until retirement in 2005. (737,L1011,747 Classic and 400).

I am trying to find mitigating circs to justify this Captain, but, (and I'm sure I will undergo censure by my fellow pilots), this sad circumstance reflects poorly on everyone, especially the Captain. It reminds me of the 'Old Yellowstain' situation, where the Captain of the Caine (Bogart in the flic) acts in an unreasonable way, and the crew is left to pick up the pieces (Caine Mutiny). A very sad situation...the Captain obviously was under great strain and mental pressure. In the movie, the defence attorney properly castigates the crew for not supporting the Captain...in this case (United), what were the cabin crew to do, other than what they did? They did not take over command (as in the movie), or order the diversion. They FOLLOWED ORDERS. My total sympathy is with the Captain, but, in this circumstance, his mental state, sadly, seems to have been...less than optimum? A diversion, in this circumstance, seems totally unjustified...and to those pilots justifying martinet behavior, in the name of pilot solidarity, again, sadly, you undermine the profession. I am open to more evidence in the Captain's favour, but, in this case, a diversion seems beyond the pale. I beg for mitigating evidence. Sorry, Sam

Last edited by Semaphore Sam; 30th Nov 2009 at 06:09.