PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - is this or isn't this an issue??
View Single Post
Old 30th Nov 2009, 00:40
Jackbr

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
RELAXED brace positin - back straight, hands with palms up under thighs or hands on knees, head straight if rear facing, bowed down forward facing - just to be ready incase something goes wrong suddenly, not an emergency brace position.

I'm not saying the guy is doing something wrong, my question was IS he doing something wrong. from what I've gathered, he isn't. however, when ever I fly Qantas, Jetstar etc and have a seat where the FA is visible, take off and landing, they ALWAYS sit in the above mentioned manner, and look to be blocking everything out and focussing on their review. In an incident such as the QF1 overun in BKK, the crew wouldn't have any idea anything is wrong until the aircraft had slowed down a fair bit and suddenly went over the runway. The accident report states the CSM had begun his welcome announcement when the aircraft went off, so the aircraft would have slowed significantly, more so than in this video, so by completely focussing and listening for anything slightly wrong, the crew can instantly react.

I'm not pointing the finger and saying the FA should be burned at the stake, I just wanted to know if this would be frowned upon, as it is not like what I'm used.

And although I'm not a Flight Attendant, my wife was for many years, which is what I'm basing much of this on.