PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Question for 737 rated aviators.
View Single Post
Old 29th Nov 2009, 18:35
sudden Winds

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question for 737 rated aviators.

Hi folks, got 3 questions for you all.

1) Leading edge flaps transit situation, no roll encountered, only one leading edge device extended or in transit according to the led annunciator panel. According to checklist, max speed 300 kts (280 for turb) or .65 mach. Now in this scenario, asumming we decide to continue our flight, do we climb to a FL less than FL200 because of that leading edge device not completely faired, or can we go up higher?
My thought is that we can go higher than FL200 for 2 reasons, one is, the MEL doesn´t prohibit dispatch higher than FL200 in that situation and 2, if a mach number limitation is provided, it´s being considered that the pilot may elect a higher FL.

2) One pack fails after takeoff, we reset it with the checklist, nothing happens, do we go up higher than FL250 or stay below that altitude?

My decision would probably be to stay lower than normal cruising FLs of 350-370, but I wouldn´t stay as low as 250. FL300-310 seems like a good compromise between remaining relatively fuel efficient (5% more fuel at optimum minus 4000 ft) and cautious in case a dual pack failure develops. Also going up a bit higher allows the pack to cool down more rapidly for a trip reset.

3) You´re conducting a partial gear up landing, in this case the nose wheel was the one that refused to come out of her cave. You prepare for evac, burn fuel, emergency ' declared, everyone's waiting. Now, upon touch down, directional control remains perfect, you come to a complete stop. Tower and ground personnel inform you that there's no fire at all. Do you evacuate? Do you evacuate in a slower manner so as to avoid injuries, do you deplane ? Do you not evacuate at all? I know the most conservative thing to do is to evac, but can be the other options considered in this particular scenario?

I am all eyes !!!