PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The CTC Wings (Cadets) Thread - Part 2.
View Single Post
Old 29th Nov 2009, 14:12
One9iner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
During the selection day which I attended a few weeks back, we (6 of us) were given a presentation about CTC, the course, the industry etc...

In my opinion, the information presented, was an honest overlook of the industry, and there wasn't a great deal of 'shiny brochure' style sales pitches...

When we were asked if we had any questions, I raised the worry that the holding pool is bursting, and asked:

"Can you explain the way in which the pool is managed, if for example a cadet completes the course, and is taken on for a 6 month flexi contact with EZY, and is then laid off in the winter back to the pool - Does someone coming out of training in that time, have a higher place in the pool/queue, or does the cadet who has been laid off take priority when EZY/other partner airlines approach CTC for a new intake?"

The answer: "A cadet flying on a temporary contract never leaves the pool, until such time that the cadet is taken on a permanent contract, he/she will remain in the pool" I'd appreciate feedback from current CTC swimmers to verify that statement?!

Obviosuly, due to the state of the industry at present, this "promise" is being stretched by factors outside of CTC's control.

I think it's important for anyone entering such a scheme, to be well informed, have a back up, have a plan B, C, D. I don't disagree that at the moment, some people who enter the system are doing so with rose tinted goggles, but as long as you research, understand the risks, and are prepared for the event of unemployment and mr bank manager ringing the door bell in 18 months, then one can make a well thought decision.

Questions that I've asked myself over the last 2 years,
Do I have equity in a property?
Do I have the education and experience to fall back on if I struggle to secure airline employment after training?
Do I have a back up?
Can I keep above the water if I'm paying back the loan/bond at £1000 a month without a permanent RHS job?

My answer to all of the above is yes; it's a risk I know, but it's one I've prepared myself for.

Last edited by One9iner; 29th Nov 2009 at 14:30.