PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - United GRU-ORD Divert to MIA to Offload Purser
Old 29th Nov 2009, 01:49
based on facts

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
nambifox

While I don't appreciate your last demand, I will REPEAT the info that I offered after the incident. To many pages to sift through to guide you to it.
The capt. & purser had a preflight briefing...no problems. Take off without incident. First Officer came out imediately it was safe for his break. He complained that the capt. made he and other First Officer call him, "Sir" or "Capt." for their 4 day trip and he made their trip miserable. At United this is VERY odd. We are a very friendly airline and usually have very good relations between ALL crew members. The purser was in back of aircraft for a short period of time. During that time capt. called for "Crew Decs." Gen Decs had already been completed and given to capt. immediately after take off. Purser returned to the First Class cabin and was given the message that capt. wanted Crew Decs. She called capt. and asked if she could bring them up in 10 minutes when she was to bring up their meals. He literally yelled he wanted them now!!! She said, "ok." She was in the process of retrieving them when her phone rang. She answered and the captain was now screaming that he wanted the Crew Decs NOW!! He was loud enough that others heard him through the closed door. (There are witnesses) She answered, "I'm getting them, I'm right here." She slid them under the door, as is a common practice, as she didn't have anyone there to open the door, per regulations. She covered the cockpit for 2 bathroom breaks when they were requested with no problem. About six hours after the last time she saw the capt. (bathroom break) she was awakened from her break by another Flight Attendant saying that the capt. wants to talk to her as they were landing in Miami in 40 minutes. She jumped up asked what happened and at the same time gave orders to prepare for landing by closing galleys etc. She went right up to her phone, called cockpit and told capt. she's right there and will be right up. Capt said," no you won't." It must be said that, she thought they were preparing for the worst...a cabin prep. Once the capt. said she was not to come in the cockpit...she feared there had been another "911" type situation where US cockpits were sealed. She asked what were her instructions (in US, we wait for whatever instructions our capts. give us) He told her they were landing in Miami in 40 minutes and SHE was being removed. She was stunned to say the least...thankfully, there was more than one witness on various interphones. She asked was she the only one being removed and what did she do? She was informed she was a security concern. When she again asked what had she done, she was told she could talk to a supervisor in Chicago about it. The only annoucement the capt. made to the psgrs. was that they were landing in Miami in 20 minutes. The very unfortunate part was that Air France had JUST "gone down" coming out of Brazil to Paris...several psgrs. began to cry, fearing th worst.The plane landed, Immigration met the flight, Purser walked off and Immigration spoke at length with the capt. They asked him to step off aircraft and he refused, they asked to board to talk to him...again he refused. They were shocked at his rational for landing an aircraft for not getting Crew Doc when he wanted, when in reality he DID get them. There was NO fighting, no chaos no nothing. That's what makes this so unbeliveable and such a question. Our pilots as a whole support our Purser, the capt. for putting her through hell, although she has handeled it and herself quite well. To date this capt. is not flying and from all accounts FAA is going after him for numerous FAR violations. It should also be mentioned that our pilots are stunned that the 2 First Officers continued to fly with this guy. The Purser asked her crew if they could possibly remain onboard and get the aircraft and psgrs. to Chicago...this is why we did not deplane with her. For all of us...pilots included...she's our hero. A pilot who knows her said he naturally heard about the situation and once he found out SHE was the Purser , he KNEW there was something wrong with the capt. That's the the general party line.
Believe me, I know the whole thing sounds absurd! That's why I think everyone not only on this blog but others as well just can't comput it.
So, there you have it. ok everyone....have at it...again...