PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - United GRU-ORD Divert to MIA to Offload Purser
Old 19th Aug 2009, 04:41
cityfan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
And he will become universally known as an asshole amongst that young 'uns peer group, because they were too stupid to see what he was trying to do FOR them, not TO them.

I remember, early days on the 727 (a notoriously difficult, swept wing aircraft to land IMHO), I lowered a runway by at least a foot and possibly more. As we taxied in, I remarked to the Captain that I had better stand at the cockpit door and apologize for that. He turned to me without missing a beat and said, " that! If they want to go through the years of training and sacrifice you have gone through to get here and then give it a shot themselves, then fine. Until then, safety is what they paid for and safety is what they got." And not a smile or curved lip in sight!

All I could say was "Thank you, Captain," but it clearly left an indelible mark on my pilot psyche. I am pretty sure he had probably never heard, nor wanted to hear, the word "mentor," but that is exactly what I took from the encounter and what I try my damnedest to instill in my FOs. Thankfully, most of them are technically excellent and there is nothing but encouragement and praise to be shared.