PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - United GRU-ORD Divert to MIA to Offload Purser
Old 7th Aug 2009, 03:47
cessnapuppy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Darwinian Evolution in a no Winian situation!

To no one in particular.... isnt it somewhat amazing how Darwinian Evolution manifests itself - no matter the location, no matter the circumstances? See how the lowly captain, via natural selection (of debate) has evolved from a mad whimsy - diverting an aircraft in a fit of pique (albeit delayed a few hours) to a Machiavellian plotter, deviously conspiring to cull himself a cushy 'medical retirement'? From madman to fraud, pausing at 'knuckle dragging ape', if only for a moment as our ancestors did.
(d) Each pilot in command of an aircraft is, during flight time, in command of the aircraft and crew and is responsible for the safety of the passengers, crewmembers, cargo, and airplane. (e) Each pilot in command has full control and authority in the operation of the aircraft, without limitation, over other crewmembers and their duties during flight time, whether or not he holds valid certificates authorizing him to perform the duties of those crewmembers.
That removes 'discretionary power' from EVERYONE on board. do as ordered. simple. no brain cells to activate. Just do. None of this "I cant believe it's not butter" bs where people substitute what they feel like doing, when they feel like doing it- for a direct order. Her job is to just do as ordered, when ordered (and perhaps complain to management afterward if so inclined) I'm sure some will advocate a different world, a kinder, gentler kumbayah world where maybe there is some discussion and perhaps even consensus reached before making arbitrary demands or 'snap decisions'. (I pretty sure the purser would have lots to say about Alternate Law and such and should probably be consulted if either pilot is thinking of a TOGA -not the Greek outfit) Maybe I'm old school...or just old. I'm curious, if she slid the documents under the door (like bread and gruel slipped to prisoners in the Gulag) and some pilot/co pilot got up and not seeing the paper, stepped and slid on it..what then? I really doubt this was an incident or action totally unique and standing alone, logic tells me to suspect there is additional history, not told in all of this.