PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - United GRU-ORD Divert to MIA to Offload Purser
Old 29th Jul 2009, 10:34
Toprotectandserve

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Christ, again!...

Captain`s authority unlimited??

No sir, it is not! Put it that way and someone will start thinking any airline captain is a true god with power absolute!!!

Some captains tend to think that the law is resumed to the rules and regulations applied to their job inside a flight deck. Well, here are some news: it’s not. There a whole lot of law outside the aircraft doors and whatever you do as well as those rules and regulations must not go against it. Unless you want to have it barging into your life, on the wrong stand, that is…

On another note, an airline captain is also part of a chain of command. The crew may be below him but there may be quite a lot of people above. If at any imaginable moment of decision he does have full authority (99% of the time, that is…) that does not mean that he cannot be held accountable for his decisions. On the contrary, he will explain and justify his actions to his bosses and may even be required to do so to regulatory authorities, courts of law, police, customs, etc…And if eventually he screws up he will pay the price, just like anyone else.

That’s one of the many reasons why aircraft captains should be, by definition, balanced, reasonable and sensible people. And, thank God, most of them are...

On the question at hand I will, however, agree with Rainboe on one respect: there is still insufficient information for a clear analysis of what happened. Not wishing, in any way, to demerit what was posted here by CCs on the flight I would still want to know what went on in the captains head before passing any sort of judgment. But that has to work both ways: if, at this stage, you can’t pin the medal on the purser you certainly cannot pin it on the captain, either. So instead of just advising it, let’s keep our options open shall we?

As to the lack of sense, arrogance and derogation I´ve seen in certain messages on this thread just two simple thoughts:

- We’re not talking about technical issues of flying an airliner, here. We’re talking about issues such as human interactivity, exercise of authority, command and leadership skills and, yes, possible legal issues. And, in that respect, I fail to see where airline captains are more qualified to discuss such matters than a lot of other people. So some hardliners here should step down from their self-built pedestal. Who knows, they actually may end up learning something…

- As for the arrogant, even rude, way in which some hardliners refer to passengers ( or SLFs as you call them) let me remind you of this: if you are actually flying an airliner that’s because you have an airline (i.e. a job). And if the airline exists that’s because there are enough SLFs to fill your airliners cabin. Yes, that’s right, all those carcasses behind your flight deck door are keeping your airline in business and paying your salary. So, next time you refer to them please try a little more respect, unless your ultimate goal in life is to fly paper planes from your back yard. In which case please go away and let others earn their living in peace!

Again, my apologies to the many decent people around here. Including the majority of the airline captains in the house.

Ah…and if someone, eventually, wishes do demerit, or devaluate my opinion, let me tell you honestly – I couldn’t really care less!

Cheers!