PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - United GRU-ORD Divert to MIA to Offload Purser
Old 29th Jul 2009, 02:21
Desert Diner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wiley

I've stood a cabin crewmember down once after he lead what amounted to a mutiny among a small number of very junior male cabin crew of similar nationalities to his own against a European female purser. (There were race/religion/gender issues involved that someone who has not lived in the Middle East would (a) not believe and (b) would have little chance of understanding.) Diverting was an option I must admit I did not consider even for a fleeting moment. After an indepth investigation, the gentleman involved was sacked upon our arrival back at home port.

...and anyone familiar with the Middle East will not be at all surprised to learn that he was re-instated two weeks later. But funnily enough, he never once appeared among my crew after returning to work with the company.
I am assuming:
  • You were flying for a ME Carrier
  • Said Male crew member was a national
  • You realized that a diversion (no matter how justified for this purpose) was going to help your long term employment options with the airline.

End of the day, it doesn't matter what justification the captain had. His decision to land at MIA cannot be questioned as he had the authority.

All that has happened is that he has lost credibility and trust with his employer. This is the true issue at hand.