PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - United GRU-ORD Divert to MIA to Offload Purser
Old 26th Jul 2009, 05:36
pattern_is_full

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts
I would like

...to hear the captain's side.

Not because I think the alleged crew posts here are unsubstantiated and thus false, but because they are unsubstantiated and thus unsubstantiated (two very different things).

I don't see any clear facts so far that justify some of the over-the-top comments on either side of the issue.

-------------

In the interests of accuracy, since the subject was raised, I'll just point out that in The Caine Mutiny, Captain Queeg (note spelling) was not on trial. His subordinate officers were on trial - for mutiny. It was their defense attorney who turned the tables on Queeg - with mixed feelings - not a prosecutor.

And it was not Queeg's command decisions in the face of enemy fire, and a storm, that were his real downfall - it was a fuss he made about missing strawberries or ice cream or some such in the ship's mess (and his reaction under questioning about it) that ultimately brought his judgement into question before the court.

Fiction, in any event.

(Although I'll offer up this quote for the next time a FBW fracas begins: Lieutenant to new Ensign: "The first thing you've got to learn about this ship is that she was designed by geniuses to be run by idiots.")