PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - United GRU-ORD Divert to MIA to Offload Purser
Old 26th Jul 2009, 04:49
Les Shore

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CRM tutorial

I wasn't going to wade into this but happened across this exchange on another forum. It might reassure some pax who think there are nothing but out of control egos in the cockpit. (You need to have a healthy ego to be a pilot)

FA: "I will question a captain's request or offer an alternative if I feel it's in the best interests of the crew or passengers."

CA:"That's fine. I would hope you would. I won't mind in the slightest and encourage all my crews to do so, especially if they think-rightly or wrongly-that I'm about to make a mistake, or could maybe do something better. I'll listen and consider carefully what you've said. You might well know something I don't that affects or changes the situation. If you do, rest assured, I'll thank you and modify my request or plan accordingly.

However, if after having heard and considered what you have to say, I stick to my original request, despite your objections, and you then still refuse, be in no doubt you will suffer the consequences.

We should all work well together to complete a flight safely and with the best service for the passengers. That's the way it is supposed to work."
Don't think that was the management style at UAL that day. It might have saved a whole mess of problems.