PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - United GRU-ORD Divert to MIA to Offload Purser
Old 25th Jul 2009, 11:02
BOAC
Per Ardua ad Astraeus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hmm Roger - I see your 9/11 post has 'gorn' - just as well - you'd have been 'popular'..................

I'm amazed this is still rumbling on. It is over. Decisions will have been taken on the 'careers' of the participants by now. I do find it amazing though, and lack of information is the problem here, that one of Rainboe's death-defying razor sharp command decisions (as required in his 600mph aluminium death tube) appears to have taken just under 6 hours.

For those 'outsiders' who just do not understand the problems we sky gods face, let me enlighten you on how command appointments 'happen' in commercial aviation

1) You acquire the necessary licence
2) AVERAGE time to command over the whole industry throughout recent history has been around 9 years, ranging from 'instant' command in a particular airline to 20 years plus for those with the necessary qualifications. You sit for x years in the right hand seat learning from the anarchic sky gods in the left seat, for whom cabin crew are a bit of a necessary nuisance, WOMEN c/crew - ugh! and don't get me started on gay stewards.
3) Evenually the A S G either dies or retires or there is expansion. You (subject to on-going assessments as 'suitable'), are put on a 'command course'. Virtually no part of this course involves learning management skills outside the cockpit. Cabin crew 'inter-reaction' is not covered. Providing you take the sensible decisions on the operating problems you are presented with (making the correct announcements to the crew) you pass the course
4) Now you are an A S G and the cycle begins all over again

Several of you from industry and military backgrounds do not comprehend the complete lack of leadership training involved. Unless you have previous experience in 'leading' your folk in difficult or dangerous situations, that is it. Outside civil aviation a lot of time is spent on various facets of team leadership, as you are all aware.

Some of you would be amazed at some of the A S G decisions our resident A S G's have taken, including refusal to divert for a very sick stewardess, but to continue 4 hours plus to base, resulting in severe loss of prospects of maternity for the lady. Had to be done. Just a silly womens' problem, don't you know. I know best, I'm the Captain, after all. Very sad.

We are not ALL the same.