PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - United GRU-ORD Divert to MIA to Offload Purser
Old 25th Jul 2009, 02:55
MU3001A

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MU3001A, all you can do is "copy/paste" someone's post giving you the "scoop" (and feed your agenda). Fine.
I can show you how to do it if you like.

Ask yourself this: would the driver be over the flying hours limit had he continued to ORD after the delay?
He did continue the flight 1 hour later, so I assume not. The diversion probably added no more than 30 minutes to his total flight time for the trip which would not have exceeded the 12 hour limit of 121.483.

Do you know if he was/has been suspended all together from any other flights?
No idea, all I have to go on is what I have read here and in the news. I have no inside information and just offer my opinion for what it's worth based on accepting that information others have provided is reasonably close to the truth.

Bet you, he is flying souls now.
Doubt it.

Assuming the particulars of the incident as previously laid out in this thread are reasonably accurate, notwithstanding we haven't heard from and are unlikely to hear from the captain or the other flight crew members. Is someone who would divert a flight to offload a member of the cabin crew over such a petty and insignificant matter the kind of fit and proper person to be holding such a position of responsibility as captain of a flag carrier? Did he think to check or did he even care how many passengers might be inconvenienced by missing their connections because of his decision to divert? Did airline management have any input to the decision or did the captain go completely rogue. A scary thought indeed, a rogue captain full of his own self importance and seemingly oblivious of or indifferent to the impact his decision would have on others, in charge of a 767 hurtling through the air at 600 mph. Sure he has the right and the sole decision making authority when and where to divert the flight under his command, but he better have a damn good reason for doing so.

My vote would be no and I suspect his employer feels the same way.