PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - United GRU-ORD Divert to MIA to Offload Purser
Old 25th Jul 2009, 00:15
parabellum
Nemo Me Impune Lacessit

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I believe the stark reality is that being in command of a public transport aircraft, like a B767, is one of the few jobs that one really has to be there and have done to fully understand it, all the theory in the world may not always help. When flying we are, as humans, outside our natural earthbound environment and this effects people in different ways and requires solid training and practice to overcome, again, you have to have been there and done that to fully appreciate this phenomena.

No where does the above show itself more than in the simulator when a first officer is doing his first command training. Flying from the other seat is no problem, the systems are all the same as are the procedures but the mental transition is the hard part, finally realising that everyone is looking at you and you are the final decision maker. Some handle it well, others don't and need a second go, some don't ever make it.

Regarding this particular incident I reserve my opinion until, if ever, both sides of the story are public knowledge.