PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - United GRU-ORD Divert to MIA to Offload Purser
Old 24th Jul 2009, 22:52
Rainboe
Warning Toxic!
Disgusted of Tunbridge

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
And you sir, have absolutely no idea whatsoever of the command and responsibility involved in taking hundreds of men into harm's way. No idea at all. The underlining notion here involves command and responsibility. To a lesser degree: leadership.
ChrisVJ and RGBock1, all the command theory is great and makes a lot of sense. However, sorry to disappoint you, but at 600mph, there is no time to discuss or question what the Captain wants (within a large band of reason). You can apply all the theories of 'good commanders' and the rest of it, but it ends behind the flight deck door, like it or not. At almost 10 miles a minute, I am not explaining and very often not even asking opinions (I will- of all the crew only- when there is time!)- it is not a luxury we have. 411A is indeed perhaps the longest standing and most experienced airline pilot of the first order that you will ever hear on this board. As one of the other more experienced members, I would prefer no other to entrust my life to anywhere near as much! That doesn't mean we have to like him because even I find his opinions sometimes jar, but always, they are right, brutal, but right. And he's right here! Right here!

So thanks for all the philosophy, but we ain't got time. And as for passenger opinions? They can stay right behind that door! We are entrusted with shifting their carcases with safety from A to B, maintaining as much comfort as we can. what their opinions are of any aspect of the operation is for Customer Services, not me in front of that door. I neither listen nor desire to know that part of the operation. They pay the airline for me to transport them, not to foist their opinions down the crew or the staffs' throats. Sit there, STFU and let us get on with the job, because 400 voices trying to make their feelings known at 600mph is untenable. So NOBODY claim because you are paying $50 for your seat, you have a voice I want to listen to! I can't, and no passenger can preach to us what they think airline captains should do or how they should behave.

That is why these sudden instant CRM experts and their opinions in this thread are unwelcome. Until you've been there and had the responsibility, I'm sorry, but you know nothing, and your opinions are valueless. why avionics engineers and members of the public think they can come here and preach to us and question our ethics and values and give us lessons is one of life's little mysteries! Brutal, but nobody seems to understand or take the point! People spend years learning this stuff- why do others think they have it at their fingertips enough to be able to give us their opinions? Purrlease!

Dani, your views are downright damaging to yourself. I can't believe some of the weirdness you are coming up with. I will tell you straight- I would rather 411A flew me than anybody else (myself included!). And certainly not your style operation!