PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - United GRU-ORD Divert to MIA to Offload Purser
Old 24th Jul 2009, 22:40
Dani

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Guys, don't get involved with 411A, he spreads foul ideas for years. This is not the first - and it wont be the last - thread he demonstrates his inability of understanding modern aviation.

Back to the topic: Leadership and command. Problem is, that those captains (who think they "own" the ship and its crew), don't know how hard it is to be a real good leader. They think, that they are born leader, since they are checked out after upgrading.

They have lived a good life in a major airline, sat on the right seat for 10 years or longer, waited for that moment it finally was their turn.

But they never had to lead outside of their job. As a pilot, everything is pretty much laid down in their books. There it says, that they can do whatever they deem necessary. But they have never understood that it is a big burden to lead. Look at Winston Churchill, Nelson Mandela, Abraham Lincoln etc aso. They lived for the job, and they sometimes died for it. Every day in their position to lead was a struggle. And they had to give everything to receive something from their subordinates. To be on top, they had to go down very low. And they were rewarded for it.

When I read some statements here in this thread, from some captains, when I hear the talk of "I can do everything necessary aboard my ship", I really have to smile, and I realize that they know nothing about real life. And it's not the first time I write this in this forum, but it is so true: I'm sooo glad that I don't have to fly with you!

Dani