PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - United GRU-ORD Divert to MIA to Offload Purser
Old 24th Jul 2009, 08:09
Curious Pax

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Juud
  1. The Captn informed the Purser that he wanted the crew decs.
  2. The Purser, instead of complying, asked if she could supply them at a later time, more convenient to her.
  3. The Captn informed the Purser that he wanted the crew decs immediately.
  4. Instead of delivering them in the normal fashion, the Purser pushed them under the cockpit door.

BoF seems to think that the above scenario clearly puts the Captn in the wrong, and the Purser in the right.
Reading it with my CSD/Sr Purser half-spectacles on, I disagree with BoF.
If the Captan wants the crew decs right now, itīs the Purserīs job to supply the crew decs right now. Chain of command, easy peasy.
As per BoF, it takes 30 secs to fill them out. On an 11 hour flight, the Purser has the time to both fill them out, go through the procedure of getting into the cockpit and hand them to the Captn without this in any way shape or form impacting negatively on the service to the pax.
Yes it is inconvenient, yes it seems to the Purser unreasonable and illogical but as Purser, thatīs what you have to deal with.
Heīs the Captn, youīre the Purser, and as long as a request from the Captn doesnīt put peopleīs lives in danger, you deal with a Captnīs request promptly and courteously.
Just a thought from SLF:

Captain wants crew dec now, but Purser can't do that due to SOP about a colleague covering the cockpit door.
Purser thinks laterally, and pushes them under the door - addresses both issues. Unfortunately due to a lack of communication/understanding between them the result of this is that the Captain thinks the Purser is being insubordinate by doing this, whilst the Purser wonders what he's making a fuss about. Result: situation escalates and you get a multi-page Pprune thread!

Only a theory of course, as like everyone else on here (almost?) I wasn't there.....