PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - United GRU-ORD Divert to MIA to Offload Purser
Old 24th Jul 2009, 01:20
stilton

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Unfortunately, Rainboe your well written, logical and cogent position simply cannot be accepted by our 'Cabin Captains'

The real Captains authority in the US has been diluted so much (with managements turning a blind eye) that the occasions when one chooses to exercise his or her ultimate authority, as this Captain did in removing a crewmember are analysed and second guessed beyond belief in the name of political correctness.

This is a great step backward, there needs to be, at all times a single person in charge of the Aircraft. That person, is by definition, company policy and global law the Captain.

Decisions need to be made all the time, if they are compromised or second guessed by everyone involved in the process eventually nothing will get done and Anarchy will ensue.

This is already happening here. I am still firmly on the side of this Captain based on my personal experience of some horrifically unprofessional, obnoxious
and uncooperative Flight Attendants I have encountered in 23 years in the business. They simply do not have the credibility for me to give them the benefit of the doubt.

They are the disgrace of the industry and completely poisonous as mentors to the younger Flight Attendants. Their seniority 'excuses' any behaviour.

It is a gloomy paradox that on those most important, highest revenue long haul routes there are usually one or more of these dinosaurs spreading their misery.

The flight attendants that remain professional while exposed to this behaviour are the true professionals. Fortunately they are still the majority.

I only wish we had the ability to eject these idiots while still airborne.