PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - United GRU-ORD Divert to MIA to Offload Purser
Old 21st Jul 2009, 16:35
birrddog

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Toprotectandserve, you start off good...

It´s not just about power…it`s about responsability... (sic)

And it is more of a burden than a privilege...
And then...

OK, on a very happy day I might ask one of them for his/her opinion. But, rest assured, if it doesn`t go along with mine I will declare him totally uncooperative and kick him / her out of my plane. Speaking of which I fully expect to have every single order, wish or whim, on my behalf, fully carried out with no issues raised, or else I´ll find that I cannot trust him and I´ll activate the kicking procedure again…

It doesn`t really matter if they may not trust me…

It doesn`t really matter if I´m eventually breaking rules…

It doesn`t really matter if, by means of insufficient information, lack of common sense or plain bad judgement, my poor decision making may be placing them in discomfort, a tight spot or even in danger…

And the passengers? What about them? If they don´t agree with my views they can always stay on the ground. All of them. Even if my airline goes down the drain, I lose my job and my flying is limited to a few rides in a flying club Cessna every Sunday, I will still be a capitan…
Can also be perceived as "I'm the Captain of this 'yer mighty 747 and that mountain better move out of my way or I'll fly straight through it... I'm the Captain of a 747 for sake"

Don't get me wrong, I am a supporter of Captains authority and responsibility, it's the burden part you mention IMO is causing the outrage.

Part of the burden is accepting that you can and will be judged for your actions, you are fit (in all meanings of the word) to perform your actions, and that you can explain your actions after the fact with more than "I'm the Captain" and expecting that to be a free pass without having to provide a rational explanation as to your thought process at the time.

It's called discretion - Engine on fire - do what you like to have a happy ending - it's your right and time is of the essence.

Personal spat with a staff member - is it really worth "becoming famous" for?

It's your call, you are The Captain, after all.

And please don't make the assumption that all FO's are junior wet behind the ear pilots. There are plenty of valid reasons and situations where you will find more experienced FO's than you. Fortunately they believe in CRM.