PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - United GRU-ORD Divert to MIA to Offload Purser
Old 20th Jul 2009, 03:07
Latearrival

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Taken from another forum:
Given the disruption and cost implications nobody would divert for any other reason than those related to the perception of safety
Granted that all the facts aren't known and there may have been extenuating circumstances but on this thread, several seem to be saying or implying that if the Captain diverted to assert his authority, he was justified in doing so.

I understand the Captain's legal and operational authority but it seems obvious that in addition to all his other responsibilities, a Captain is responsible for ensuring crew members do their jobs well. People don't do their best work in an atmosphere of intimidation or feeling that their opinion isn't respected or considered. Megalomaniacs don't make good bosses. A good boss/leader in any field finds a way to bring out the best in people. Expectations of blind obedience (unless it's a safety issue with no time for discussion) don't seem any more reasonable in aviation than they are in any other field.

Although generalizations are dangerous, I suspect that if a poll were taken, a trend might appear based on age and country of origin/culture. However, I don't think many would disagree that an older, experienced Captain with good technical and people skills (along with maturity and common sense) would be the complete package. It seems many PPRuNe contributors would fit that description. Others....not so much.

But I'm just lowly SLF.....so what do I know--just in case anyone wanted to point that out.