PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - FMC Databases B767/B757/B747
View Single Post
Old 21st Jun 2002, 14:38
downfourgreen

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I’ve not been flying Boeing airplanes lately but I am sure that absence of database isn’t a no-go item.
Based on my previous experience, I can recall:
1- If the permanent nav database does not contain the desired stored waypoint(s), then new (previously unstored) created waypoints can be defined by the crew.
2- Alternatively, created waypoints can also be initially defined using crew-assigned identifiers on either the SUPP/REF NAV DATA pages. This method allows waypoints to be defined in any of FMC categories (waypoints, navaids or airports). Several entries can be stored in either data base (I don’t remember but at least 40 waypoints/navaids and 6 airports) and when any storage category is full, entries which are no longer required should be deleted by the crew to make space for additional new entries.
In short, we’ve already flown wide-body airplanes around the world (years ago...ops! Until now) equipped with an old Litton INS with only 9 wpt spaces available. I know it should not be used as a routine task and there is a lot of extra work to prepare the FMC to show a magenta line on ND but surely they will not keep an airplane parked waiting for a new database.

Last but not least: Nowadays, flights from Asia to the USA have been routinely made via PACOTS. Those tracks are flexible, updated everyday, usually no company route is provided for such routes, and waypoints are not stored in database as well. Therefore pilots must insert every oceanic waypoint one by one and check them prior to departure.

saddest aviator, I've tried to say "lack of data base", sorry.

Last edited by downfourgreen; 21st Jun 2002 at 18:28.