PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Instructor Rating vs MECIR
View Single Post
Old 28th Nov 2009, 00:10
dreamer84

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Instructor Rating vs MECIR

Hi all,

Have been reading on here for a while with great interest but this is my first post. I have recently completed my CPL and am well aware of the prospects out there for me at this time. (lack of)

I am able to arrange finance for either an Instructor Rating or MECIR and my question is which way to go. I am leaning towards an Instructors Rating because in my opinion (and from advice I've been given) that may be the only way to gain employment. By no means do I view instructing as just a means to an end because I think I would love the challenge of teaching others to fly and learning so much more myself. And I am acutely aware that I wouldn't put a MECIR to use for a good 12-18 months anyway.

I guess what I'm after is opinions from those who know about the validity of both these ratings. Obviously I would need a MECIR at some point in my career but for the meantime is Instructing a good place to start? How are the hours accrued instructing actually viewed in the industry? I know about the wages/conditions etc but still want to give this career a go! Plus I have a newly qualified teacher as a spouse.

One other question I have is regarding claiming back the cost of a MECIR or FIR. For example, if I was employed by a Flight Training Organisation in any capacity, and completed a FIR to gain employment as an Instructor there, would I be able to claim some/any of that cost back? Any thoughts welcome.

Any other comments/advice on these things would be greatly appreciated.

Kind regards.